October 25, 2016

The Serpent Never Sleeps

From the moment I picked up The Serpent Never Sleeps by Scott O'Dell, I was hooked. From the very first page, I began to care about the characters; big or small, they all played a vital role in this wildly creative retelling of the early Jamestown settlers. Scott O'Dell does an excellent job of weaving fictional characters into historic events, leaving no noticeable seam. By the end of the book, I felt as if I had traveled with these beloved characters and seen the sights they saw. I commend Scott O'Dell for his ability to draw the reader into his story effortlessly.

Serena Lynn had a life that anyone would envy; she had a high position in Foxcroft Castle, a brother who cared very much for her, a mistress that was not too sweet but not altogether sour, and she had Anthony Foxcroft. This dashing young man had stolen Serena's heart since she had known him and he seemed to return the affection. But Serena's perfect life would be shattered - shattered by her own doing. When she had met King James and he had given her his serpent ring, he had said it would protect her from all kinds of danger; knowing this, Serena had no fear of the unknown when she had followed Anthony to America after he was accused of murder. The king had said the ring would protect her from physical harm but not emotional; this became all too real on the journey over the sea. In the new world, Serena would face every kind of peril. Would the ring protect her or would the king's promise turn out to be a lie?

This was a wonderfully compelling book full of characters that touched my heart and made an imprint. Scott O'Dell has proven to me that he is a noteworthy writer and I will be looking for more books under his name. I would recommend an age limit on this book of seven and up, though. There are a few instances of witchcraft and sorcery, as well as a few harsh realities. I will, though. be recommending this book to those in the appropriate age group. A worthwhile read, not to be missed.

*****
RJ

No comments: