June 20, 2019

Mine Is the Night

In 1745, Scotland was thrown into disarray and turmoil. For years, the people of this frigid northern land had been subject to the cruel treatment of their king. Ruling the land with an iron fist, King George cared little for his people; he taxed them mercilessly, demanded that they obey his every command, and punished any and all Scots who refused to conform to the state church of Scotland. Unwilling to let this tyrant's reign continue, a small but brave group called the Jacobites rose up to challenge the king; they alone dared to seek a new beginning for Scotland. Mine Is the Night, by Liz Curtis Higgs, is not the story of the Jacobite rebellion; rather it is the story of those who saw the conflict unfold, the story of those who lived to tell the tale.

Elizabeth never thought her life would turn out like this. She had supported the Jacobite cause because her husband had fought with it; she had spurned King George's authority in the hopes of creating a better Scotland. She had seen a brighter future for herself in the Jacobite cause. Now, a year after the Jacobite rebellion, all that Elizabeth had hoped for has vanished. The cause failed, Scotland remained the same, and, because she defied the king, everything Elizabeth lived for was taken away from her. Traveling with her mother-in-law Marjory, another casualty of the rebellion, Elizabeth is seeking out a new life and a fresh start. Rebuilding her life isn't going to be easy, but Elizabeth is determined to try. With hope in her heart, God's promise of provision in mind, and the love of good friends in her soul, she is ready to take the next step into a new life.

I was pleasantly surprised when I finished this book. I didn't expect it to be such a good read but I am glad that I was mistaken. I picked up Mine is the Night randomly and decided to read it, if only to shorten my reading list. It had been sitting on my shelf for years and I had no desire to read it so I let it sit. I have read other books by Liz Curtis Higgs, one of which, Whence Came a Prince, is reviewed on this blog. I didn't like that book and found the story and writing sloppy. I expected the same from Mine is the Night. Luckily, the book dispelled all my worries in its first few pages. Unlike Whence Came a Prince, this book had wonderful writing, a solid story, and likable characters that are instantly enduring. I found the characters likable because they seem like real people, they have messy lives that they have to work through, they are not written as flawless protagonists. The book took a simple premise and expanded it into an interesting story that I highly recommend. I do think that the book is better suited for older readers because of some intense situations later in the book and parents may want to pre-read chapter 61 and decide if their child is ready for it's content, (the chapter depicts an assault.) But aside from that, all kinds of readers can enjoy this book. A nice diversion from what I thought is was going to be, Mine is the Night shouldn't be overlooked.



*****
RJ

Photo Credit: Goodreads 

No comments: